Sunday 16 December 2012

transform from location to furniture

Some locations are world known and are icons in building, construction and design for their specific country. For example, when thinking of Dubai, one thinks of the palm islands, when one thinks of London, Big Ben pops into mind.

I was browsing the Internet when I came up to 2 photos I really liked, which portrayed to iconic buildings which where turned into furniture with a very clever purpose.

the Eiffel Tower Lamp.
 
The Taj Mahal Table.
 
'The Tour Eiffel Lamp and Taj Mahal Table were envisioned by Studio Job and fall into the category of “you either love it or hate it”-designs.' Taken from http://freshome.com/2012/12/10/tour-eiffel-lamp-and-taj-mahal-table-appealing-or-tacky/'
 
freshome, 2007.  [online] Available at: <http://freshome.com/2012/12/10/tour-eiffel-lamp-and-taj-mahal-table-appealing-or-tacky/> [Accessed 16 December 2012 ].
 
For my final project I was thinking of doing something of the same idea, taking an amazing structure and transforming it into something useful and original. I love how the transformation in these pieces work out, they are simple ideas but that don't come to mind easily. They are creatively fresh and take great monuments and portray them in even greater furniture.

I had the Idea of transforming a Maltese famous landmark which is the Triton fountain in Valletta. I thought of making something that has to do with it , but I wasn't sure of how to execute my idea, so I would have to think more of what I should do.

Valletta Triton Fountain.
This amazing fountain was sculpted by local sculptor Vincent Apap in 1959 and till now it stood the test of time and is featured in front of the Valletta City Gate. ''On April 30, 2011, without any consultation with the public, the arts community and NGOs, the Government of Malta announced that it was moving the fountain from its present location in front of the entrance to the capital city Valletta. '' taken from Wikipedia with the Title 'Triton Fountain (Malta).


Wikipedia, 2001.  [online] Available at: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triton_Fountain_(Malta)> [Accessed 16 december 2012 ].

No comments:

Post a Comment